Ministry of Environment Processes and Guidelines for EIA.
ONDO STATE GOVERNMENT MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT APPLICATION PROCESS AND GUIDELINES FOR ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT (EIA)
The law governing Environmental Impact Assessment studies are EIA Act, CAP E12 LFN 2004 and CAP 50, section 4, subsections (A-f) of Ondo State Laws 2006. Kindly note that projects under the purview of Federal Government are commissioned by Federal Ministry of Environment in conjunction with Ondo State Ministry of Environment. The following process is for EIA:
RELEVANT MDAS TO INTERACT WITH
- Ministry of Environment
- Ondo State Internal Revenue Service (ODIRS)
- Ondo State Environmental Protection Agency
APPLICATION FORM AND REGISTRATION OF PROJECT
Registration of project/development by the proponent at the Ministry of Environment, Alagbaka, Akure:
- Obtain application form (free of charge) at EIA Department of Ondo State Ministry of Environment, 3rd floor, Ministry of Education building, State Secretariat, Alagbaka, Akure or download or print the application form here The applicable rates for EIA studies are prescribed in see the approved list of fees here.
- Applicant will, within 5 days, submit the application form to the department of EIA, Ministry of Environment, 3rd floor, Ministry of Education building, State Secretariat Complex, Alagbaka, Akure between 8:00am to 4:00pm (Monday – Friday, excluding public holidays)
- The payment for EIA shall be paid into any of the Commercial Banks using the payment advice obtained from the Ministry of Environment. (The payment advice contains government Agency Code 053500100100 and Revenue Code This payment advice serves as the government account details for payment).
- The applicant can take the evidence of payment/teller obtained at the Commercial bank to any ODIRS tax Station across the 18 Local Government Areas in the State (click this link to see the addresses.
- https://www.odirs.ng/tax_offices.php, for issuance of Government e-receipt within 24 hours.
TERM OF REFERENCE FOR EIA AND SITE VERIFICATION
- Proponent will submit Terms of Reference (TOR) for EIA study (Prepared by approved Consultant, See List of approved Consultants here) to the Ministry of Environment, State Secretariat, Alagbaka, Akure with Agency copy of the Government e-receipt.
- Ministry will conduct Initial Environmental Evaluation which includes Site verification.
- The timeline for Site verification will be within 5 working days after submission of TOR and payment.
- After Site verification, the Ministry of Environment will review, confirm the scope of Terms of Reference (TOR) and approve the TOR within 5 working days.
SUBMISSION AND REVIEW OF THE DRAFT EIA
(i) The proponent/registered Consultant will execute the EIA, after which the proponent shall submit the Draft EIA Report to Ondo State Ministry of Environment, State Secretariat, Alagbaka, Akure.
(ii) The review will involve publication of the EIA application via newspaper or notice board or radio jingle (as may be deemed by the Ministry) for a period of 21 days and thereafter review of the Draft EIA report will start immediately and will be concluded within 5 working days. Note that the observations raised by the Ministry after the review will be communicated to the proponent and all necessary adjustment to the EIA report will be made by the proponent within 5 working days.
SUBMISSION OF FINAL EIA REPORT AND APPROVAL.
Proponents submit the final EIA report to the Ministry of Environment, State Secretariat, Alagbaka, Akure, after making necessary adjustment. After submission of Final EIA report, Ministry of Environment will then issue a Letter of Approval with the Ministry Letter Head within 5 working days of submitting the EIA report.
IMPACT MITIGATION MONITORING
Impact mitigation monitoring of any EIA approved by the State will be embarked upon during construction, commissioning and decommissioning of projects. The Impact mitigation monitoring is done throughout the life span of the project.
Environmental audit will be conducted by Ondo State Environmental Protection Agency after 2 to 3 years depending on the nature of projects. The Environmental Protection office is at Igbatoro Road, Adjacent Shoprite, Alagbaka, Akure.
For more information, enquiry, or complaints please contact, Ondo State Ministry of Environment, 3rd floor, Ministry of Education building, State Secretariat Complex, Alagbaka, Akure between 8:00 am to 4:00pm (Monday – Friday, excluding public holidays) or call 08036601843 – Mr. Gbenga Olatubosun